Saturday, October 15, 2011

Design Brief CUVCOR04B

I was given a design brief by Ashleigh to develop a logo and brand for a fictional camera shop/café called The Image Café. Before I go into further detail on the process of coming up with the logo, here is the final product:

.

The idea behind the proposed business is essentially a place where you can have photos developed, and have a relaxing cup of coffee while you wait for said photos to be developed. In addition, it would also offer cameras and accessories for photography.

The non-negotiable parts of the brief were that it needed purple, blue, black and grey. In addition, there needed to be the logo itself, a brochure, a point-of-sale promotional product, a poster or booklet, and a website mockup.

So, I was a little stumped on ideas, before deciding to put a camera shutter in a tea cup! I also considered making a camera lens a mug, however that didn't have as much of a desired effect. During the first consultation, Ashleigh was really impressed with the logo I had come up with, and seemed rather content with how the logo was coming along. I struggled a little bit to find an appropriate font, because I wanted something classy and something that yells out quality and finesse, and using Times New Roman or Garamond would have been far too obvious, so I decided to use Day Roman instead. I found that the particular font was still decent and suited my needs, without being a bleeding obvious mass-distributed font.



The second consultation went pretty well. I was a bit stumped on what exactly to do for the point-of-sale product, particularly because I didn't entirely understand the concept of it at the time, but then I came upon the idea of using a camera lens-shaped mug that would come in a variety of colours, essentially using the same colours that is used on the logo. I pitched the idea at Ashleigh, and she was particularly happy with the idea.






Once I had the colours sorted out, I went to the Pantone+ guide to suss out colours that would closely match those that I had settled on. The colours I settled upon were:
  • PANTONE 7662 CP (purple)
  • PANTONE 2925 CP (light blue)
  • PANTONE Cool Gray 5 CP
  • PANTONE Process Black C
The shopfront I used is at Camera House (seemed appropriate at the time, although I really could have used one of the many café's instead). This is how it looks like in The Image Café trim:






Here's the brochure that I had come up with. I didn't want to put in too much information to overwhelm the potential customer, so I kept it nice and simple, and straight to the point, with necessary prices and such.

Front



Back





And here is the website mockup:





I had quite a bit of fun doing this! And I really hope that Ashleigh also likes what I came up with. She hasn't seem the final product yet (since she wasn't here last week) but I'm sure it'll be exactly what she was after.

No comments:

Post a Comment